I have all the details on Thomas Jefferson high school admission requirements covered in this article so if you looking to get into the school for science and technology, look no further and read on.
Before we get into the requirements, let’s look at an overview of the school in terms of history, and rankings among other things.
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (TJHSST) is a partnership among businesses and schools created to improve education in science, mathematics, and technology back in 1985.
The school was not only established to provide a specialized education for gifted students in Fairfax county where it is located but also to serve other school districts like Arlington, Loudoun, and Prince William counties, as well as the cities of Fairfax and Falls Church.
Thomas Jefferson high school is currently ranked the number 1 best high school in the United States. The school currently has an enrollment of 1,886 with a student-teacher ratio of 18:1. Enough with the demographics, let’s get to the Thomas Jefferson High School admission requirements.
What are Thomas Jefferson High School admission requirements?
The Thomas Jefferson high school admission requirements are in four parts. In order to be eligible for entry into TJHSST, you must meet all the requirements in these four areas known as the – TJHSST Eligibility Requirements.
- First is the Residency requirement; – the first of the Thomas Jefferson High School admission requirements is all applicants to TJHSST living with their parents/legal guardians must be a full-time resident (be present) in the participating school division at the time of application.
The following are school divisions currently participating in TJHSST; Arlington County, Fairfax County (includes the City of Fairfax), Falls Church City, Loudoun County, and Prince William County.
Fauquier County Public Schools and the cities of Alexandria, Manassas, and Manassas Park however are not eligible to participate in TJHSST. Students who live in those school divisions are not eligible to apply to or attend, TJHSST.
- Second is the Course Prerequisites; – the second of the Thomas Jefferson High School admission requirements for you to be eligible for consideration into TJHSST, applicants must:
(1) have completed a full-year course of Algebra 1, or be currently enrolled in a full-year course of honors-level Algebra 1; applicants attending schools whose curricular programs do not include “honors” Algebra 1 courses must have completed or be enrolled in a full-year course of the highest level of Algebra 1 available at their school.
(2) be enrolled in honors science; applicants attending schools whose curricular programs do not include “honors” science must be enrolled in the highest level of 8th-grade science available at their school
(3) be enrolled in an honors course in social studies or English/language arts, or identified as a “Young Scholar”; applicants attending schools whose curricular programs do not include “honors” courses in social studies or English/language arts must be enrolled in the highest level course available at their school.
In either social studies or English/language arts or identified as a Young Scholar or identified as having advanced academic potential through a similar program designed to nurture such potential in students from underserved or disadvantaged backgrounds.
(4) have a 3.5 or higher GPA in all core academic courses (math, science, social studies, English/language arts, and if taken for high school credit, world language) at the time of application.
- In addition, is the Math Requirements; – the third of the Thomas Jefferson High School admission requirements is, applicants to the freshman class at TJHSST must be taking a full year of Honors Algebra 1 for high school credit or a higher level math course in grade 8 to apply to TJHSST. Algebra 1, Part A does not satisfy the math prerequisite for freshman application.
Your school must verify the math course you are enrolled in for grade 8 on the application form. If you are a homeschooled student, you must provide a detailed description of the math curriculum for all math courses taken in middle school (including the name of the textbook used) with your application.
- The final requirement is your Grade Point Average (GPA); – the last of the Thomas Jefferson High School admission requirements is, all applicants to TJHSST, at the completion of 7th grade, should have an unweighted GPA of 3.5 or higher in order to be eligible to apply. It is highly unlikely that 1st quarter 8th-grade marks will elevate a GPA lower than 3.5 at the end of 7th grade to a qualifying GPA.
All prospective applicants must satisfy these Thomas Jefferson high school entry requirements in order to be admitted to the most prestigious high school in the United States.
That’s all on the Thomas Jefferson high school admission requirements. I hope this article is helpful to you all ways.
Thomas Jefferson High School entry requirements
The four Thomas Jefferson High School entry requirements are;
- All applicants to TJHSST must be full-time residents at the time of their application.
- All applicants must meet the course prerequisites.
- All applicants must meet the maths requirements.
- All applicants at the completion of 7th grade should have a GPA of 3.5 or higher