Here’s another piece on the advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling essay. The question of whether homeschooling is good or bad has been a topic of controversy for decades now.
The benefits and negatives balance each other out in most arguments. As to whether it is the right choice is entirely up to the discretion of the parents involved.
In this post, you’ll find 5 advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling essay, but first, let us look at what is generally meant by homeschooling.
According to a Wikipedia definition, homeschooling is the education of school-aged children at home or a variety of places other than a school where the instructions are generally conducted by a parent, tutor, or online teacher.
With that understood, it is important to evaluate the pros and cons of homeschooling before making any decision that is to prospective parents looking to explore options for their education.
Be rest assured, I have covered all the pros and cons of homeschooling in this post for your perusal. While on the topic, you should also check out our earlier post on the disadvantages of homeschooling.
The advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling essay
Homeschooling is consistently becoming a popular option in homes all over the world with the recent pandemic being a key factor.
But it is also not without its pros and cons. You might want to consider the following advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling before making a decision;
- Flexibility and Freedom; It offers a freestyle method of teaching. Parents and children get to set their own schedules and workload. To make life easy for the parents and the family at large.
- Customized curriculum; homeschooling allows the parents to customize the curriculum to the learning needs of their child. This allows the child to develop at their own pace academically.
- Parental involvement; Homeschooling is usually done by parents and this means there is parental involvement in the child’s educational development all through the way. This also promotes a stronger bond between the family due to the time spent together.
- Academic achievement; Children from homeschools have often times deservingly beaten students from traditional schools in standardized tests. This is a testament to the quality of education received at over those in the traditional schools.
- Safe Learning Environment; Unlike the troubles, most children face in traditional schools. Homeschooling offers a safe learning environment for children. The child is safe from most of the dangers school-going children face daily.
- Socialization Difficulties; One edge the traditional schools have over homeschooling is socialization. It is quite difficult for a child to learn how to socialize if he or she has been intensively homeschooled. They have little or no interactions with children of their age.
- Lack of structure; The homeschooling process often lacks a proper structure. As things are done according to the discretion of the parents, there is no proper structure in place to guide the homeschooling process. This is disadvantageous to the child’s development.
- Isolation; Due to the intensive nature of homeschooling, children oftentimes feel isolated from their peers. This is to the fact that some parents homeschooling parents don’t even allow their children to have any interaction with the outside world.
- Parental qualifications; some parents may lack the proper qualification to handle the education of their child. Unqualified who are not engaging the services of a qualified private tutor may render the educational needs of their children to their own discretion.
- Cost Intensive; The cost of engaging a private tutor to homeschool your child can be huge. This is not a problem for rich families but it’s a problem when you can’t afford some resources available to children in the traditional school for your child at home.
In summary, homeschooling has its benefits as well as its negatives. You need to consider some of the factors highlighted in this article before making a decision on the education of your child.
That is all on the advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling essay. Thank you for reading and don’t forget to subscribe for more updates.